Tuesday 17 April 2012

A Bit of Nostalgia

On Sunday, Steve, Ruby and I made an impromptu trip to Oxfordshire to visit my family. First stop was Cowley, to my nan's house where Ruby wowed everyone with smiles and attempts to walk. Nan's house is full of memories for me, so it was great to take my little one there to create some more. Nan's middle name is Ruby- which is where I got the name from.

Here's the four generations together: Ruby, me, Dad and Nan.



Nan had cooked one of her signature rice puddings which I made Steve try- saying that he'd never have Ambrosia again once he had. It's all about the skin on top for me- yum!

Witney was our next stop. My mum, my brother and I moved to Witney when I was 14- so I spent the majority of my teen years there, before I left for university. I also got married in Witney Methodist Church- so the  town holds lots of memories for me: exams, first jobs, days out and wedding planning.

We decided to look around town before going to my mum's house. It's changed a lot since I left. So many more shops! What used to be a pet shop is now a vintage shop called The Old Pill Factory. I love it!  It's just as well I don't live near it- as I end up spending a fortune.

I got a tad over excited in there and therefore got a bit snap happy.





















I bought this Ladybird book for nostalgic value, it's also got quite a
few little projects for me to add to my ever lengthening 'to do' list.








Having dragged myself away from this lovely little shop we made our way back to my mum and her husband: Steve's house. This house also holds hundreds of memories for me. Mum loves colour and little trinkets just like I do- so I decided to have a little scout around.


I painted this plant cell pot for my mum when I worked at a ceramics cafe as a teenager.



This is a piece of fabric stuck on to a piece of wood and then varnished- really effective.



I love this jam pot note pad from M&S.



I have to admit to being slightly jealous of Emma Bridgewater's success-
but I do love her surface pattern design.



My saltdough cake fridge magnet.




One of my more recent designs.




I have always been interested in typography- so this hanger caught my attention...



... as did this plaque.



Charity shop find.



My teacup candle and fimo biscuits.



I never met my mum's parents and she doesn't have many photos of them.
But she had recently discovered this one. I love looking at really old photos


My gran was called Mary, but was known to her friends as May. Which is where Ruby May got the May part of her name. May is the lady with her legs crossed and my grandad (Paddy) is on her left.

This is my mum with Ruby May.




No comments:

Post a Comment